Centre OverviewSt. Andrew's School first opened its doors in 1895, catering for the boys of Westland Row Parish. At that time over 4500 children were attending National Schools in the area. The school finally closed its doors in 1976 due mainly to the rapid decline in local industry and the demise of the working docks.
In 1985, the Dublin Archdiocese made the building available to the Social Service Centre to be redeveloped as a Resource Centre for the parishes of Westland Row/City Quay. A major renovation programme ( 1986-1989 ) funded with the assistance of the Department of the Environment, Eastern Health Board, FAS and extensive local fundraising developed a totally refurbished centre with over 18000 square feet of accommodation. This includes Office Space, Meeting Rooms, Training Rooms, Youth Service, Adult Education, Job Centre, Welfare Rights & Information, Social Service Centre, Childcare Centre, Computer Training Centre, Cyber Café, Day Centre for the Elderly, Main Hall, Outdoor Play Area and Outdoor Facilities.
The Building was formally opened by the then President Hillery, on Bloomsday 16th June 1989.
The development of the Centre and its services has continued over the years. The Centre now employs over 230 people on a full-time/part-time basis and plays a significant and ever expanding role in the life of the community it continues to serve.
Our development would not have been possible with the dedication of our in house team of highly motivated staff and volunteers whose enthusiasm, dedication and professionalism is evident to all those who visit the Centre.